With the nutritional guidelines for kids constantly changing how can we be sire to give children a balanced diet that will promote a healthy body and mind.
With nutritional guidelines for children constantly being changed by the government not to mention results of studies revealing that certain foods are good for something and bad for others, how can we know what is really the best diet for our children. The food pyramid for kids is a system that was implemented in 1992 and has been the centre of food guidelines ever since. The food pyramid for kids was designed to meet the needs of everyone in a “one size fits all system”. Therefore the recommended intake of different foods groups was the same for everyone regardless of age or lifestyle. The food pyramid for kids has now, however been updated slightly in order to take into account factors including sex, age and daily physical activity. The name has changed slightly too and will no longer ne known as food pyramid for kids but My Pyramid. The name intended to highlight the personal touch that has been given to the new system. This personal touch is added through an online guide that allows you to chose the pyramid that is best suited to you according to some of the factors listed above. Whilst in comparison to the food pyramid for kids, the new guide certainly has some advantages; it does also have some disadvantages. The main problem according some of the pyramids critics is that the new design is confusing and unclear. It neglects to clearly identify the foods that are the healthiest and additionally is not clear on how much of different foods we should be eating.
Parentings nutrition plan
In an alternative to both the food pyramid for kids and the new my pyramid, another system that is being used is the Parentings nutrition plan. Just like the name the plan is clear and straightforward to understand. There are a few simple tips that when followed will provide your children with all of the nutrients they require to grow and develop healthily.
- Serving size. Both the size of portions and having the correct proportions of food are important to a healthy and balanced diet.
- Healthiest food groups. Each meal should be based on the three healthiest foods types, which are whole grains, vegetables and fruits.
- Healthy fats. Healthy fats such as seed and nut oils offer important health benefits and should be incorporated into meals.
- Legumes. These are foods such as beans and peas and are full of nutrients and easy to incorporate into meals. This is one food group that is practically discarded by the food pyramids for kids.
- Potatoes in the food pyramid for kids are grouped as a vegetable. While this may be true their nutritional properties are more like that of grains and should be eaten sparingly, particularly when in the form of french fries.
- The parenting nutritional plan is much more clear on the foods that are less healthy such as full fat ice cream and fatty cuts of meat.
- Specifics. This plan is much more detailed and specific about the best foods from each group and how much of each should be consumed daily.